Wayne Kurtz, an ultra racer and founder of www.racetwitch.com, an ultra racing Web portal, came up with his top races. Some of the races he’s done are so remote they don’t even have Web sites…just blogs about people who’ve finished these races!
As evident by the explosion of endurance sports races throughout the world and so many to add to the schedule every year a question comes to mind, Wayne reflected on his favorite races of all time.
“There are so many factors to consider when evaluating races but there are several that stand out for me for various reasons. In my 25 years of racing this is a tough one!”
How about you? What’s your top 10 and maybe what are your future top 10 on the dream list? Everyone has different reasons to race: competing against oneself, overcoming significant life hurdles, or fellow athletes. One thing in common is when you get the bug and get hooked it becomes an integral part of our life.
Wayne’s top 10 (no specific order)
1. DECA Ironman – dream race from when I read an article about it in Triathlete Magazine in the 1990?s. 10 Ironmans in 10 Days nothing like it!
2. Pittsburgh Marathon – Wayne’s first marathon and of course nothing like crossing the line of the first marathon finish – run it May 15, 2011.
3. Butler Triathlon – sprint triathlon and where the passion started in 1986
4. Vermont 100 Mile Running Race – All Time favorite 100 miler
5. San Diego 24 Hour Run – no longer around, but the venue at Mission Bay watching the sunrise was a memory forever
6. Squaw Peak 50 Mile Run – First time running a tough high mountain/Western trail ultra – plenty of memories and stories from this one!
7. Ross 5K – My first running race in 1985!
8. Lake Sunapee Ironman – Nothing like the first Ironman Finish (1 mi swim, 44 mi bike, 9 mi run)
9. Vail Snowshoe Hill Climb – what a tough run up the mountain!
10. Hungary Double Ironman – First experience racing in Europe with all my ultra tri friends – the race distance is a double long/full iron triathlon distance which includes 7.6 km swim, 360 km bike and 84.4 km run.
Well, as I was thinking of this list I had another 15-20 races that could easily be added to my list. Try it out and let me know what were your all time favorites. Need to find a race, check out one of the over 7,728 races on Racetwitch.com.